Friday, January 05, 2007

parts.mit.edu/igem 2.0

Over the next month or so I'll be redesigning and rebuilding the iGEM website. My design goals are to make it prettier, simpler, easier to use, much more dynamic, and above all, overflowing with features and functionality that naturally generate a much stronger sense of community than what we currently have.

So far Randy and Meagan and I have done some brainstorming and I've started doing some detailed concept sketches of the features we talked about. After I finish with those, I'll make some even more detailed mock-ups in photoshop. I'll explain and show a bunch of these features in another post. This is just to get my foot through the blogging door again.

While the main site is in development, we want to have a discussion board and mailing list online at a skeletal interim site about iGEM2007. I am really excited about the Vanilla discussion forum. It looks... awesome. Today my goal is to get a test version of it running on my machine here, blamo. I found some nice tutorials on getting into the superficial layers of apache in OS X at O'Reilly's onlamp.com.

No comments: