Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Quest for Laziness 1: Completion!

I think I've gotten an autologin script figured out. I'm not sure how useful it will be to non-davidson students, but who knows. It is triggered by automatic system events that occur in response to changes in network connectivity. Big props to wombert for his brilliant use of Kicker.xml and configd! No infinite loops here, no sir.

It's at pastebin to preserve formatting and encourage spontaneous improvement.

edit: It got accepted at macosxhints.com. Yay.

1 comment:

Mackenzie said...

I submitted it to http://www.macosxhints.com/, but I don't think it's been accepted yet. One thing I think I forgot in the instructions was how to determine PID using terminal and the id command.

Also, there may be troubles for users who don't run OS X 10.4 - a friend with 10.3 wasn't able to modify Kicker.xml - the system didn't try to authenticate him, it just denied access. We got around it by moving a copy of the file with sudo in the terminal.